- Alli Prescribing Information
- Active Ingredient (in each sealed capsule)
- Ask a doctor before use if you have
- Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking any of the following prescription medications
- When using this product
- Stop use and ask a doctor if
- If pregnant or breast-feeding, do not use.
- Other information
Alli Prescribing Information
Active Ingredient (in each sealed capsule)
Orlistat 60 mg
Weight loss aid
For weight loss in overweight adults, 18 years and older, when used along with a reduced-calorie and low-fat diet
Organ transplant alert: do not use if you have had an organ transplant. Orlistat interferes with the medicines used to prevent transplant rejection.
Allergy alert: do not use if you are allergic to any of the ingredients in orlistat capsules
Do not use if you are taking cyclosporine, have been diagnosed with problems absorbing food, or are not overweight
Ask a doctor before use if you have
- Gallbladder problems
- Kidney stones
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking any of the following prescription medications
- Anticoagulants (blood thinning medicine)
- Amiodarone (heart medicine)
- Diabetes medicine
- Thyroid disease medicine
- Seizure medicine
- Antiretrovirals (HIV medicine)
- Taking any other weight loss products
When using this product
- Take a multivitamin once a day, at bedtime. Orlistat can reduce the absorption of some vitamins.
- Follow a well-balanced, reduced-calorie, low-fat diet. Try starting this diet before taking orlistat.
- Orlistat works by preventing the absorption of some of the fat you eat. The fat passes out of your body, so you may have bowel changes. You may get:
- Gas with oily spotting
- Loose stools
- More frequent stools that may be hard to control
- Eating a low-fat diet lowers the chance of having these bowel changes
- For every 5 pounds you lose from diet alone, orlistat can help you lose 2-3 pounds more. In studies, most people lost 5-10 pounds over 6 months.
Stop use and ask a doctor if
- You develop itching, yellow eyes or skin, dark urine or loss of appetite. There have been rare reports of liver injury in people taking orlistat.
- Severe or continuous abdominal pain occurs. This may be a sign of a serious medical condition.
- You are taking medicine for seizures and your seizures happen more often or get worse
If pregnant or breast-feeding, do not use.
- Read the enclosed brochure for other important information
- Diet and exercise are the starting points for any weight loss program. Try these first before adding orlistat. Check with your doctor before starting any exercise program.
- To see if orlistat capsules are right for you, find your height on the chart to the right. You may consider starting a weight loss program with orlistat if your weight is the same or more than the weight shown for your height.
- For overweight adults 18 years and older:
- Take 1 capsule with each meal containing fat
- Do not take more than 3 capsules daily
- Use with a reduced-calorie, low-fat diet and exercise program until you reach your weight loss goal. Most weight loss occurs in the first 6 months.
- If you stop taking orlistat, continue with your diet and exercise program
- If you start to regain weight after you stop taking orlistat, you may need to start taking orlistat again along with your diet and exercise program
- Take a multivitamin once a day, at bedtime, when using orlistat
- Store at 20 – 25oC (68 – 77oF)
- Protect drug from excessive light, humidity and temperatures over